Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Open Ended Art--pebble mosaic

Open Ended Art is dedicated to mosaics the whole month of September. Each week is featuring a different item to be used in our mosaics. This weeks "theme" was pebbles.
I didn't want to buy a kit and I didn't want the little kids trying to glue pebbles to cardboard, so I came up with this idea. I made a batch of playdough in a "natural" color and then had the kids make their mosaics on this. It provided a great substance for the pebbles to "stick" too, and they could experiment with this technique over and over again.
Kimberly is making a face.
Luke is making an "L" with his pebbles. I needed to encourage him to make a mosaic picture--he just wanted to hide the pebbles in the clay and then search for them.
Gracie's careful work.
Here goes Luke. He did make the letter "L" and then created his own "open ended art"--or is it "search and rescue" art.

The kids worked with these for at least and hour, and then Kimberly (3) continued for another hour of play.

Gracie's work.
Luke did bury some pebbles and then continued to decorate the outside of the clay--I loved this creativity.
Mark's work.
Gracie made a snake--this is just soooo cool!!
Of course, it was playdough, so Mommy had to make a snowman--and Kimmy decorated it for me.

Kimmy is just amazed at her work.

12 comments:

Gidget Girl Reading said...

they all did such a great job! :) neat idea to use playdoh!! :)

heavenly bliss said...

I love the artwork you have been doing. I need to get on the ball in this area. We have started school but I soooo want to hang on to summer!
xoxo Jenny
By the way I crocheted a washcloth last night!! I had never discovered the cotton yarn before and I followed the pattern on the back of the wrapper. Ut oh a new addiction has sprung upon me!!

Nicole {tired, need sleep} said...

What a great idea to use playdoh! I love this; I think I'll file it away to do sometime here. The kids' projects look so good!

Rhonda said...

This is so cook=l. I love the ideas that the kiddos came up with, especially that snake that Gracie made. Cute!

Michelle said...

I didn't even think of play-doh what a great idea!!! They came out great :0)

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

I love your entries in the open-ended art, because I can see the work of the kids of very different ages. They all did great job. I was thinking of using a playdoh as well - might do it for a bean week now :)

Zonnah said...

One of the advantages to having a lot of kids is you get to see so much creativity. I am a little envious :)

Amy said...

I love how they each did something different with the same supplies. What a great idea to let them create over and over again.

Kristi said...

What a great idea!!! They did fabulous work!

Susana said...

They are all great and creative, but I gotta tell ya--I love that snake:-). This was a fun idea you came up with!

Lynn said...

Clever plan with the play-doh! They did a great job.

Kylie said...

Yes, love the playdough idea for the littlies. :)