Friday, September 18, 2009

Open Ended Art-Mixed Mediums-Bean Mosaic

This week's OpenEnded Art theme was "bean mosaics".
I drew some pictures on the cardstock to guide the kids and then handed out the beans and glue.
I also put out some rice for them to use, which was a mistake, because of the rice they developed the "glue and dump" technique, which is good for glitter but not mosaics.
They also lost control of the glue bottles, so I ended up putting glue into bowls and they used popsicle sticks to put the glue just where they wanted it.
Kimberly, 3, and the youngest, was definetely the most patient and did the most careful work, putting one bean on at a time.


After a bit of rice free-for-all, Gracie recieved more instruction about mosaics and then did very well.
Kim's (3) flower
Luke's (4) train (notice the rice dumping-after very careful wheel work)
Gracie's (7) flower---no rice next time!

5 comments:

Nicole {tired, need sleep} said...

How interesting that the 3 year old was the most patient! And they look great, you are making me wish we had participated this week! I even think the rice looks nice!

LivingSimply, SimplyLiving said...

I just wanted to pop in and say Hello..I found your blog via another blog and I just wanted to tell you that your blog is an inspiration..your family is an inspiration...I will be visiting more often:)

growing and learning by leaps and bounds said...

what great mosaics!!!:)

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

I love what your kids did and thanks for all the "gotchas". We didn't participate this week, because I don't do crafts with food items on principle.

Zonnah said...

They turned out so cute!