Monday, October 12, 2009

Tree Hugging Tots: Leaves

Mommies Wise Little Bookworm is hosting a weekly Tree Hugging Tot themed carnival--this weeks theme is: leaves.
We definately have leaves around here, and all it takes is to step outside to enjoy the beautiful leaves of autumn in central New York.
The first fun Kimberly enjoyed was jumping in the leaves. It was a cold, sunny day, and the leaves smelled just heavenly in the crisp air.
Mark and Luke enjoying nature.
Gracie.
The last few days have been sunny, so the leaves were nice and crunchy, perfect for playing in.
I gathered some special leaves with Kimberly, all the same kind and all a nice autumnal yellow.
She lined them up by size.
We found several leaves of different colors and brought them inside.
She and I admired them and sorted them by type and color.
Then, with my help, Kimberly discovered a magical surprise!!
I put a leaf under her paper and, for her first time, she made a leaf rubbing.
She was just amazed, as the leaf appeared under her crayon.
She made these again and again. I did have to help hold the leaf steady or they slipped around too much to make a good image.
What a fun day we had, enjoying God's beauty outdoors and exporing God's beauty indoors.
Next week's Tree Hugging Tot theme is: your backyard.

6 comments:

Gidget Girl Reading said...

great leaf rubbings! LOVE the leaf jumping its the best!

Julie said...

You have so many leaves! Ours haven't fallen enough to make big piles for jumping yet.

Virginia Lee said...

Isn't teaching with nature the best? I'm jealous, you have many big piles of leaves. It snowed early this year so our leaves are wet and not inviting to jump into. Looks like you all had so much fun!

http://rogersfamilycircus.blogspot.com/

Debbie said...

Oh how I miss Autumn like you have! I love seeing the kids having so much fun in the leaves, it warms my heart!

Sandra said...

What fun with those wonderful leaves! I wish we had a day of jumping in the piles of leaves. Hoepfully soon.

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

I am jealous about your piles of leaves - we never seem to have enough. The pictures of the kiddos in the leaves are super cute.