Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Quick and Easy Homemade Felt Board


I have been wanting a felt board for the kids, but all the boards I saw while searching the net seemed too flimsy for my, ummmm, active children, so I set out to make a very, very sturdy one.
I used one of Becky's large wooden cake boards. At first I thought it would be too heavy, but I don't want the kids carrying it around, I want it to stay where I put it, so the wooden board is perfect.
I bought blue and green felt to divide the board in two. I also bought spray adhesive. This worked great for securing the felt down---it also sprayed glue on a lot of other stuff at my table. I think next time I use adhesive spray I will do it in a box, like when we use spray paint.
The felt was very easy to affix with the spray glue. I divided the front into "sky and land" and then simply wrapped the overlapping felt around to the back and sprayed glue and secured it down. I think this feltboard was finished in under 20 minutes. I may finished off the back with colorful duct tape if it starts to loosen up.
The first activity set I made for the felt board was a set to go along with the rhyme "Five Little Pumpkins".
But that is a story for another post---coming in the next few days!

7 comments:

Tina said...

Great idea! A friend of mine made my feltboard from a fold out display board. It is large and stands up pretty well by itself, if I need it to. But it isn't quite durable enough for my rough little man. Love the sturdiness of yours!

Unknown said...

Very cool. I am going to do this. My kids love felt stories.

Anonymous said...

That is the best idea! Thanks for sharing it. I'm always looking for fun and easy ways to help my little guy with story time and since he's so rough and tumbley this idea will work out perfectly!

Ladybug Mommy Maria said...

That is a terrific idea, Joann! Way to go!

Anonymous said...

Some may feel squeamish about eating it, but rabbit has a fan base that grows as cooks discover how easy they are to raise — and how good the meat tastes.

Hannah said...

This is so funny! I just found your link at 1+1+1=1 and I have been trying to figure out how to make my own felt board all day and kept getting sidetracked by all the fun projects. Thank you! It is so helpful.

In Light of the Truth... said...

Now what do you use on the back of the pictures to get them to stick?? I've been wanting to do something just like this!