Sunday, October 18, 2009

Simply Made Sunday-- Pumpkin Pie

This week it was pumpkin pie, made from real pumpkins!

We read a lot of pumpkin books this week and did an activity to go along with the book

How Many Seeds in a Pumpkin?

You can check out that fun in our stART post.

The whole "cleaning out the pumpkin" thing was very exciting!

Luke wouldn't touch the pumpkin pulp.

Kimmy washed her hands in the pumpkin pulp!

After the pulp and seeds were all cleaned out of the pumpkins, we wrapped them in foil.

Place on a cookie sheet and bake in a 350 degree oven for about an hour, until the pumpkin is "fork" (or knife) tender.


Allow to cool enough handle and scoop out.

Get the pie crust ready. We used store pie crust since I was getting tired making pumpkin mash.

Smash that pumpkin---Gracie did a great job with this.

This recipe is from the old fashioned red and white Betty Crocker cookbook.

This recipe is for one 9 inch pie. We doubled this.


Pumpkin Pie
1 3/4 cup cooked mashed pumpkin

1/2 tsp. salt

1 3/4 cup milk

2 large eggs

2/3 cup brown sugar

2 Tbls sugar

1 1/4 tsp. cinnamon

1/2 tsp. ginger

1/2 tsp. nutmeg

1/4 tsp. cloves

Gracie is now my number one egg cracker---she cracked 4 out of 4 eggs today with no shells!

She thought it was fun to use the pumpkin shell as her bowl.

Add all the ingredients to the bowl of pumpkin

and mix.

We then used the hand mixed to get the ingredients mixed completely.

Put this into your pie shells.

Bake at 425 degrees for about 45 to 55 minutes.

I always bake my pumpkin pie until I can see the the center is cooked and bubbling, almost as if boiling.

Let cool--

the house smells like autumn heaven at this point.

We like our pumpkin pie with whipped cream and cheddar cheese.

Make sure to check out all the Simply Made Sunday-In the Kitchen with Mom fun this week.

6 comments:

Tara Broman said...

The pies turned out beautiful. I bet they tasted beautiful, too!

I love how your daughter cracked the eggs into the pumpkin shell. My girls would think that is fun.

Thanks for linking up!

Sherry said...

They are Beatiful and looks like your kiddos are having a BLAST!

Marilyn said...

Your pumpkin unit is amazing. You have inspired me. I read How Many Seeds to the littles tonight - and tomorrow we are going to scoop out and roast and count the seeds. You never cease to amaze me with your creativity. I may even try pumpkin pie - I did make pumpkin bread this weekend - but have never made a pie.

"My Little Wonders" said...

MMMMM.....they look so nummy.
Did you make the crust?
If so can I have the recipe? If not what kind did you get? They look reayy picture perfect. I may just have to try to make some myself. Or I just may have to put in an order for one of your homemade pies. hehe
~Lori

Susana said...

Awesome pictures. Thanks for the recipe too. I've never made it with real pumpkin, but have always wanted to give it a try.

You've got to let me know how you do all that you do with 10 kids?! I am struggling with 4, but know I want more. When you have some time, I'd love to hear some input!

You're amazing!!

Rhonda said...

That looks so delicious. I love pumpkin an just about anything. MMM!