Monday, March 9, 2009

Pipe Cleaner and Pony Bead Rainbows

We have been reading all sorts of rainbow books lately and I came up with this simple craft for the kids to do. (I will post our book list soon, because I have discovered some real gems!)
Materials needed for our rainbows:
blue playdough (this is the sky)-I used homemade from my favorite recipe
pipe cleaners in rainbow colors, cut in half
pony beads, in colors to match the pipe cleaners

I made a sample rainbow for the kids to look at and copy. They did a great job on these. I had to show Kim and Luke the first arch and then they did the rest on their own.
I also laid everything out so that the littlest wouldn't get overwhelmed looking for beads to match the pipecleaners.
Luke got off to a great start.
The playdough was perfect to stick the pipecleaners in and make the rainbow take the "proper" shape.
Because I made a sample for the kids to look at, they easily managed to make their rainbow colors in the correct order. (Although I had no purple pipecleaners.)
Gracie
Luke--I don't really know what his face is doing, he had a real hard time smiling.
Kimberly's great rainbow.(Her face is saying she is worried that she is going to drop her rainbow!)

3 comments:

Amberella said...

I wish I had thought of using playdough/clay! Great idea. When we do this again I will be using that so we can have one that can be done over and over again! :) Cute project.

http://justthenanny.blogspot.com/2009/03/rainbow-connection.html

Renee said...

What fun you're having with your little ones! I want to come to your tot school too...smile. What a great mommy you are Joann. God Bless you!

Rhonda said...

These are just too cute! I would have never thought of something like this for St. Patrick's Day. Great work.