Thursday, March 5, 2009

Marshmallow and Toothpick sculptures

It all started with just Mommy and Kimberly.

I got out mini marshmallows and toothpicks and showed her how to make things by sticking the toothpicks into the marshmallows.

I made a square and she managed to copy it--I was very proud of her.
She then began to work on her own creation.
While the other kids were in the next room, Kimberly worked very hard on her activity.I was extremely impressed when she told me she had made an octagon! I didn't have the heart to tell her it was a hexagon-but heck-she is two years old-she shouldn't even have the word octagon in her vocabulary.
What happened next, was that the other kids caught on to the fact that we were doing something fun.
Creations began to become 3-dimensional.
I love little fingers at work.
I love little goofy 9 year old boys.
I love the concentration it takes a very, very active 7 year old to create such a marvelous structure.
This is a VERY sturdy bridge.
I love when simple things keep very, very active kids busy for several hours!

2 comments:

heavenly bliss said...

This is something I have had "on my list of things to do". I'm glad it was such a hit. How is Dudley doing? I used to have guinea pigs when I was little and LOVED them. Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

I love this activity. Great for all ages! Thanks for sharing.