Sunday, March 8, 2009

Happy-The Weekly Unplugged Project

I was really stumped when I read that the Unplugged theme for this week was HAPPY. I didn't really know what type of activity we could do that would appeal to both our little learners and our "medium" learners. But, finally I decided on doing two different projects for each set of kids.


For Mark-9 and Grace-7, I thought we would try making "happy faces" beaded pin art.
I found the pattern and directions at Family Crafts.About.Com.
The only supplies needed were:
1 1/2 inch safety pins
seed beads in your favorite colors


We have never tried to make this type of craft before, and I was pleasantly surprised that both Mark and Grace could follow the pattern quiet easily.
It took about an hour for these two "very active" children to complete this craft (and they did it in one sitting!) I was VERY proud of them.
That is one HAPPY face. They picked the color green for the faces in honor of Saint Patrick's Day which is celebrated with a lot of gusto around this house.
Wonderful job, Mark and Grace!!
Kim-2 and Luke-3 made HAPPY face clowns. This also provided a lot of shape review.
I got this printable from one of my favorite sites, First School.
The pattern gives you the choice printing in color or black and white. I printed it in color to save time. If I had the little kids color this, it would have been a two day project. I also cut out the pieces, because, although they are getting good at using scissors, they could not have managed these little shapes.
I glued the head on construction paper to make it sturdier for our added embelishments.
Kimberly is good at this type of gluing. She calls it "doing a puzzle" because she has to match up the proper shapes.
We added pom poms to the top of the hat and nose. It looks very cute, and very HAPPY!
Luke cut some ribbon to add to the clown's hair. This is also quite cute.
Two HAPPY clowns for a Happy-Unplugged week!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I love the idea of those seed bead and safety pin creations! I think that could be right up JediBoy's alley... thanks for sharing. :)

Meg said...

I love the bead faces! How neat!

Unknown said...

Those are 2 great projects.

Crescent Moon said...

Those came out great! I really like the beads. I wonder if my son would have the patience for that.

Peterson Party said...

Great projects!

This Girl loves to Talk said...

I love the pin craft.. my 8 year old would probably love to do that!

Treff said...

Cute smiley face beads! They remind me of pixel images...

Christie said...

Very cute ideas! And Happy ST. Patrick's Day. We celebrate BIG too!

Mozi Esme said...

What fun ideas - both of them!

Mozi Esme said...

Wish I had found that clown pieces pattern before I cut up our felt smiley face pieces! Esme probably would have appreciated it!

Rhonda said...

What a "happy" little blog this was. I enjoyed seeing the crafts being made. Everything is so cute and I always love seeing happy kids!