Saturday, February 14, 2009

Wrinkle---A Treasure Map--(The Weekly Unplugged Project)

This weeks Unplugged Project was wrinkle, and it took me some time to come up with a project using this theme, but I finally settled on a homemade treasure map, suitably wrinkled to fit the theme.
We started with white copy paper and tea bags.
The kids tore the edges off the paper to make it look old.
They then WRINKLED the paper up. The smallest kids didn't want to do this important step, I think they thought it would ruin their paper, but they finally did wrinkle and then unfold the paper.
We then made tea. Everyone added a teabag and waited to the tea to be ready for the wrinkly paper.
I put the paper in a cakepan and added the tea. We let it soak for about 10 minutes, removed the paper and let it dry.The result is old, wrinkled, antique looking paper, ready to be made into a map.
Everyone used their imaginations and designed their own treasure maps. We have been learning about maps over the last few weeks so this was a fun activity to add to this study.
And the best part, following each other's maps to the treasure!

7 comments:

Crescent Moon said...

I remember making those with the tea bags when I was a kid. It is a fun project.

Unknown said...

What a good idea. My daughter is always making "maps".

Sherry Gann said...

Great idea! I'm bookmarking this to try later. :)

Anonymous said...

Great idea!

Michie said...

I had the hardest time thinking of anything for wrinkle! I like your take on it.

JoAnn said...

Great idea! One day I will actually jump in and do an unplugged project. I think I over think the whole thing. Thanks for sharing.

Mozi Esme said...

What a creative idea! I love it!