Friday, February 27, 2009

Tools for Tots--ocean waves in a bottle

This weeks Unplugged project was -bottles-and this certainly fits into this category.
This is a fun project to put together for the tots in your home. You will also quickly discover that every age group is enthralled with this "ocean in a bottle."
Collect the materials:
empty plastic bottle-we used a 1 liter bottle
vegetable oil
water
blue food coloring
glitter
small funnel-not necessary but useful

An item that is also not required but very helpful is a teenager.:-)
Fill the bottle half full of water.
Check for spills
Add a few drops of blue food coloring.
This part was fun in itself! We all enjoyed watching the color swirl around.
We then added some glitter to the blue water. You don't need to do this, but it adds a little "sparkle" that is appealing to the eye.
Fill the bottle to within 2 inches of the top with vegetable oil. Notice the helpful teenager in this picture.
Put the top on the bottle tightly. Seal it with a hot glue gun or duct tape. Now give the ocean to a child and watch the fun. If you tip it gently you gave make wonderful waves. If you spin it you can make a small tornado, shake it up and watch everything seperate back into its original state.
You can roll it back and forth on the floor or table.
The kids added A LOT of glitter and after the bottle sat the glittered settled on top of the water, but below the oil--a very interesting effect!
You can't deny the look on our tot's face--this is a real fun Tool for Tots!
Next week's Unplugged project theme is -HAPPY

10 comments:

Bobbi & Noe said...

I wanted to do a project like this for Unplug your kids- the theme was float. I couldn't remember exactly how to do it. Thanks so much for posting this. I will have to bookmark this! ~Bobbi

Sarah said...

My kids love these!

jennwa said...

My older kids loved these. I need to make one for my youngest, she will love it too. Thanks for reminding me.

Also thanks for the link.

Teaching Heart Mom said...

Ooooo... my son would love this. I have it bookmaked to try it. Thanks!

Rhonda said...

I remember making these in our little homeschool. What fun!

So Smrt said...

The glitter makes it so beautiful!

momandkiddo said...

I've seen this in one of our science books, now I want to give it a try!. Also, now whenever I think I have it rough when my baby and preschool are coming at me from all angles I am going to think, "if Joann can handle 10 I think I should be able to handle 2!"

Michie said...

Looks like your gang had a lot of fun with this. I like the way the silver glitter looks in there.

Dayna said...

Nice job - great teamwork! We are going to have to try this one.

Shannon said...

These are great. We are so going to try this! Thanks for posting.