Sunday, June 1, 2008

A Family Story: In Honor of Patricia Polacco

Cay, at Author Fiesta, suggested that we have the children write a family story, to place in their binders. Today, everyone has been slowed down by a cold, so it was a perfect day to get started on the stories.
I have written their stories as they narrated them to me.
I had the kids sit for a little while quietly so that they could think about what they would like to share. (Patricia Polacco's habit is to sit in her rocking chair every morning and listen to classical music while she gets ready to write and create her artwork.)
Gracie decided to share the fun she has at Grandma and Granpa's house with her cousins.

FUN WITH MY COUSINS
I love having fun with my cousins at Grandma’s house.

We like to play with Grandma’s toys, but she won’t let us play with her fancy ones.

In the summer we like to roast marshmallows and eat a picnic outdoors. We love to ride in Grandpa’s wagon in back of the tractor. We watch the birds, take walks, and see the creek and trains.

Inside we like the sound of the birdie clock. We watch t.v. and especially like Funniest Home Videos.

The End.

Author’s Note: Even though I am getting older we still have a lot of fun together.

By Gracie age 6
I have to laugh, Mark and Grace had never heard the term "author's note" until we read the Patricia Polacco books. Both kids, seperately, told me when they finished narrating their stories, that they wanted to add an author's note to the end of their stories.

1 comment:

Rhonda said...

What a great story and I love the author's note. How cute! Wonderful photos too.