Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Tools for Tots-Toddler Dice

"Tools for Tots are simply learning tools we make ourselves for our tots." Carisa at 1+1+1=1 has been keeping track of homemade learning tools, and I have finally had a chance to join in the fun-(and learning.)
What I made for the littlest learners around here are early learning dice. Suitable for tossing, throwing and stepping on-although, I don't know how long they will last if they continue to be stepped on.

I simply cut two half-pint milk cartons into equal squares. I just eyeballed the cutting, and then kept trimming until I got squares the size I wanted. Then, fit the two cartons together with the bottoms of the cartons facing out.
These squares are surprisingly strong.
Cover them with paper and then add whatever you want. I put the numbers 1-3 on our pair of dice, because these are the numbers we have been recognizing and counting.
Today, Kim and Luke each took a dice, and then using the fish from out counting mats game, they rolled the dice, told me the number and then counted the correct number of fish into their bowl.
This game also provided an opportunity to practice taking turns.
Luke is NOT very good at the taking turns skill.

We enjoyed a lot of number fun with this easy, FREE activity.

5 comments:

Gidget Girl Reading said...

i made these too its fun!

Anonymous said...

great idea! I might make some with half gallon milk cartons, because that's the size we have! lol

Jedda said...

I'm excited to try these :)

Mom in Ohio said...

Did you know that you can go to
www.shop.usps.com and order the perfect box for dice. It is not only FREE but will be delivered directly to your mailing address.
Once on usps click on "for mailing and shipping", then click "priority mail" scroll the items under this heading until you find Box O - Box 4. This box is perfect for making dice and it"s free.

mindy2780 said...

I was just looking for a way to make some homemade number cubes and letter cubes for my daughter. Thanks!