Tuesday, February 1, 2011

St, Brigid's Feast Day-Repost (boy, my babies were little)

Thanks to Cay, and her book, Catholic Mosaic, today we learned the beautiful story of St. Brigid, whose feast day we celebrate on February 1st.

Brigid's Cloak-An Ancient Irish Story "is the tale of one of Ireland's beloved saints, who receives a wondrous blue cloak as a little girl. Years later, she is still wearing the now-ragged cloak as fate and wonder lead her to a crowded inn within the town of Bethlehem, where she meets the baby Jesus Christ and his family. Deftly written by Bruce Milligan, and beautifully illustrated by Helen Cann, Brigid's Cloak is highly recommended for young readers as a compassionate and charming story with mystical color illustrations. "Midwest Book Review

After reading the story (several times) I printed a picture of St. Brigid, and using some blue fleece I found in my fabric stash, we formed the fleece around the picture to resemble a cloak. I used a glue gun to secure it together because I wanted to hang it on our "learning wall". After it was together, we used star stickers to decorate it. This was certainly Kim and Luke's favorite part.

To finish, I printed the Irish blessing, "May God keep you safe under St. Brigid's cloak" and tucked it along side the cloak. It is a now a wonderful reminder of a wonderful saint.

6 comments:

His Servant: Ann Kraeger said...

you are a great homeschooling mom. how I wish I still had some littles at home so I could "steal" your ideas to use with them.

Unknown said...

I love that story--and the royal blue, starry cloak. Ireland is a beautiful country with many ancient legends. Some so fascinating that my writing colleague and I have just written a screenplay on the subject!

Anonymous said...

This is wonderful, Joann!!! God bless you.

Anonymous said...

Very nice Joann! May you be blessed!~

Molly(heavennotharvard)

Heather - Doodle Acres said...

I tagged you for a meme, my love!!!
http://www.liliesofhope.com/doodleacres/2008/01/31/a-meme/

Lisa said...

Wow, Joanne! I just love the way your family celebrates the Church year! You're an inspiration!