Tuesday, September 25, 2007

A New Non-Planning Plan

I have made the decision to not "plan" this school year for my kindergartener or my 2nd grader.
In the past I would write out a full quarter of the school year plans at once, and many times I have needed to start a new plan book because of all the cross-outs, corrections, and additions.

We started school at the beginning of August, and yesterday I was looking through my plan book. I have added things everyday--what read alouds we are doing and what pages we completed on that day--math pages completed and test scores recorded. I have documented every little unexpected learning moment in this book, nature walks, cookies baked, crafts completed, and feast days celebrated.

Hopefully, I will be able to look back into this planner and see what a wonderful, learning filled year we have had.(even if there are some empty days here and there)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Personally I thought planning to have ice cream was VERY forward thinking of you ; D It's important to get those big rocks in the jar first you know lol.

Seriously, looks like you have a great notebook with the essentials included. I like the dayplanner format for this.

Leonie said...

I like the post planning/post programming idea!

Anonymous said...

Who cares about the odd nothing day? When you think about what a school accomplishes in a day and what you accomplish in a day, you can afford a couple of empty days.

His Servant: Ann Kraeger said...

Just because you didn't sit with books doesn't mean that learning didn't happen. Don't worry about those days with nothing written on them.

Anonymous said...

This is what I've started doing with my K'er and 3rd grader -- because everyday that the calendar doesn't get followed, they still do learn something. I *love* unexpected learning moments! It's the perpetual planner in me that keeps getting in the way.