Thursday, November 12, 2009

We Made It!--Indian Corn Craft

We are quite behind on our crafting as of late, but we did manage to make these cute indian corn decorations this week. I saw the idea last week at Two Hearts Together. I added a little more detail and a story to incorporate the big learners that I have in the house.
We used:
real indian corn
yellow and green construction paper
glue
a template found here
Thanksgiving Bible verses from here
scissors
We also incorportated the reading of my new favorite Thanksgiving book: P is for Pilgrim.
"Across the Atlantic Ocean,
a lone ship on a vast sea.
Ablaze with new hope,
all praying to be free." from P is for Pilgrim
"From the lives of our early settlers, who established the foundations for American freedoms and ideals, to today's celebrations, "P is for Pilgrim" colorfully examines the history and lore of Thanksgiving. This alphabet book pairs each letter with a short poem and a sidebar that provides further information about the ideas presented in the verses." Amazon review
I also love the illustrations in this book.
The Bible verses we used are from Christian Preschool Printables, one of my favorite resourses.
First Gracie and Luke removed the kernels from the corncob.
This was quite a time consumming task for the two of them, resulting in Gracie becoming a little hungry.
Luke stuck with this for longer than I thought he would. It is great work for those little finger muscles.
Kim and Luke both practiced their carefully dotting of the glue, and then applied an indian corn kernel to their "cob."
While the little kids worked on the corn, Mark and Grace traced and cut out the husk part of the craft out of green construction paper.
They then put a suitable Thanksgiving Bible verse on the husk.
Mark choose to cut out the verse and glue it to the husk, while Gracie wrote her verse.
I think they turned out very nice--and are now proudly displayed in our Thanksgiving craft montage area.
Check out all of this weeks We Made It crafts at Ramblings of a Crazy Woman.

3 comments:

Sherry said...

I think they turned out very cute!

jennwa said...

I love that idea, I think I will be doing this in my preschool class. Thanks for sharing this great idea.

TwoHeartsTogether said...

I'm glad you enjoyed it! Yours turned out great