Sunday, November 8, 2009

What My Children are Reading- Nov 7





We have been read alot since the kids have been sick, and our main theme has been "scarecrows".
All the books shown above are just lovely and are on our favorite list, but the most favored is
Waltz of the Scarecrows.
It is about a little girl staying with her grandparents on their farm during the summer. She is surprised when they start making scarecrows for the corn field out to a ball-gown and hat, coat and tails.
We learn in the story how this tradition began and why it is still being carried out on all the farms in the area.
My 3 and 4 year olds loved this story, but it also held the attention of my 8 and 9 year old---and I have to say, it is also one of my favorites.
Check out what others were reading this week at Mouse Grows, Mouse Learns.

3 comments:

The Watts Family said...

Look at all those wonderful books. I just know I will miss that most when my children are older. It is so fun to snuggle up with a good book. I can not wait till we are settled in from our move and we get all our books from storage. Praying you are all feeling better and healing from your illness~Thanks for sharing Blessings Heather ;D

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

Thanks for linking to me, and I am sorry that the kids are sick. It's a great selection of scarecrow books. My daughter is really interested in them since we watched Wizard of Oz. I'll make sure to look for them in the library.

David said...

Joan,
Thank you so much for listing your book choices for the kids. I'm going to add you to my blog, so I may exchange and offer reading suggestions to my family and friends.

Reading is so important when it comes to homeschooling. And when you encourage your kids to read with such great books, then it kicks off kids' love for reading.

When I first taught my children to read, I used a method of phonics, but quickly realized this worked for my eldest but not my youngest. She didn't grasp reading. So after trial and error I began to realize she was a visual learner who needed both elements to learn to read. She only became successful in learning after the sound and visual were combined. And now she is reading at a higher grade level than her fellow students.

I have seen a huge improvement, and suggest for anyone whose kid is struggling with reading to try using both sound and visual to help their kid overcome it too.