Monday, September 15, 2008

Hurricane Ike Damage, in Central New York

Yesterday was a sweltering, humid 90 degree day here in Central New York. Very unusual for this part of New York in September.
Well, last evening the weatherman said that the remnants of hurricane Ike would be blowing through to usher in a cold front in the middle of the night.
We were told that we could have wind gusts up to 60 mph.
That doesn't seem to bad. That is a lot less that hurricane winds. But when that wind began to whip, at 2:00 am, it woke me up, and I thought, "Boy, this is a little unsettling." At 2:30, when the wind blew our screen and window fan out of the window and into the front yard, I was beginning to freak out.
At 2:45 my husband and I watched this huge maple tree break in half. It took the wires to the house across the street that is being renovated-with a lot of noise and sparking.
I now have an idea of a storm that has 60 mph winds-I can't begin to imagine winds faster than this- and I know that I don't want to ever experience winds like this again.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! All the way up there!
Incredible.

His Servant: Ann Kraeger said...

Did you lose your power? Ours went out at 3:00 AM and we just got it back at 1:00 PM. Matthew and I spent the better part of the day at the Oneida library. It is good to finally be able to take a shower and get the laundry started. Ian had 4 calls last night for trees down on power lines around the Vernon area. I am so glad that we don't have storms like this very often.

His Servant: Ann Kraeger said...

We will be at the funeral too. After I give Matthew lunch we will be over. See you then.