Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Pumpkin Symmetry

I gave a lesson on symmetry today, and come up with this super fun way to have the kids make a Halloween pumpkin cutout.

My 7 years old son got the hang of it quickly, but my 5 year old needed a bit more explanation as to what symmetry is.
We also talked about the positive and negative effect of this craft.
We used:
1 -- black construction paper 6 inches x 9 inches
2 pieces of orange paper 4 1/2 inches x 3 inches
Start at the bottom and draw a pumpkin with a stem. ( I made a pattern on card stock that they traced.) Starting at the bottom, students cut out the pumpkin. It has to be all in one piece to work! They also need to save both parts. They glue one part at the top and line up the orange and black papers at the top, left corner. Then I tell them to put the cut out right under where the hole is located.
For the second pumpkin, they repeat the directions, but reverse the cut out on the other section. This also gives it a checker board effect.

3 comments:

Lisa said...

Love this craft, Joann. Love your blog! I think we live in parallel universes! &:o) We seem to like to do the same things ~ though you are a way better seamstress!

"My Little Wonders" said...

What a great idea!
We are still working on the spanish galleon, hopefully it will be finished soon.
Lori

Amber said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog, I enjoyed browsing through yours!

You can consider yourself entered in my contest, BUT if you'd like, I would LOVE to make a webset for you with the picture of Mary and Christ that is on your sidebar....FREE!!!!

That is one of the most beautiful pictures I've ever seen. If you are interested, please send me the original and email me at AmberTITL at gmail.com

God Bless,
Amber