Saturday, August 27, 2011

Melanie the Monarch has hatched

Yesterday morning I was awakened by excited children telling me that they could see the butterfly through the chrysilis. I wish I could have gotten a photo without such flash glare.
About an hour after getting up in the morning, we got to watch Melanie the Monarch emerge.
You can see a video from 2008 that we filmed of a hatching.....keep on your voloume because the kids voices are so little and cute!

After a few hours of letting Melanies wings dry, we headed outdoors to let her go free.


You can tell Melanie is a girl because she has no hind wing spot.


I showed the difference between the two genders in this past post.



I didn't even have a moment to take a picture before Melanie headed to the tops of the trees!


”I Science Sunday

4 comments:

raising treehuggers said...

we have a few caterpillars that will turn into monarchs! :) love caterpillars of all kinds even the ones that turn into moths :)

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

How much fun to get to see it emerging!

Ticia said...

I love that first shot of the see-through cocoon.

Phyllis said...

She was beautiful!