Saturday, December 13, 2014

Homemade Orange Pomander

 We haven't made orange pomanders in a few years...and I just love the Christmassy  smell these give off-it's one of my favorite smells. 
Start with a good sized navel orange and whole cloves.  Hopefully you can find a nice Amish store to pick up the cloves, because if not this is a VERY expensive craft.  At Walmart I priced the whole cloves at almost $12.00 a jar. 
 Stick the cloves into the orange.  We like to use a toothpick to  make a little whole in the orange skin and then the clove slides in nice and easy.
 The kids took a couple days of completing their oranges...it's kind of boring work after a little while, so it is a great thing to do while watching a a Christmas movie.
 Once completed..(or as completed as the kids can manage) wrap the orange with pretty netting.  I found this red netting at Hobby Lobby.  It has nice large openings to let the yummy smell through.
I then tied a ribbon tightly around the ribbon. 
At the same time I was putting the ribbon around the netting I strung a piece of ribbon for hanging the pomander.

Picture perfect!
I then hung the oranges in our front windows.  It's gorgeous in our window in front of our many paper snowflakes. 
Merry Christmas everyone!

1 comment:

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi said...

We also do this craft each year and this year I had the kids write their names. Oranges from our tree are ripe in December. We are able to get bags of cloves from our local Indian Market super cheap. In fact most of my bulk spices I pick up at this place because of the incredible prices.
Love the blog!! Ella M