Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Religious Images-into-Christmas Ornaments

I have had this idea for combining Advent feast day images and Christmas decorations for quite a while and I am very excited at how they turned out. Of course, they are still very child friendly in their preparation-as it should be-when you live with so many children
I made a simple frame out of fun foam. I cut out two of these, and also printed two copies of the pictures I wanted to use. Today we made Juan Diego and the image of Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception.
I also wanted to make sure to include a review for this new product I discovered at the store yesterday. Elmer's Shimmer and Shine art glaze. It has little confetti mixed into it and brushes on smoothly. We give it 2 thumbs up.
I didn't take pictures of the production of these, but they are pretty straight forward. I made these two so that they have the same picture on each side, but I won't do this again, it is not needed, I will just cover the back with a solid piece of foam. I also haven't added something to hang them with yet. I am going to use pretty ribbon, and using a needle will add this to the top for hanging.
The embellishments are just the glitter glue and stickers. You can't get any easier that that. Of course, there are many things you could add, like lace, small silk flowers and ribbon, but I wanted the kids to be able to do the decorating themselves, so stickers are what we used.
I have the pictures printed out for Our Lady of Guadalupe and St. Lucy. We will make these on their feast days. I also plan to do one of a picture of the Nativity, and maybe other Advent figures like John the Baptist and the Angel Gabriel--OK, this might continue to grow and grow.....

7 comments:

Anne (aussieannie) said...

Beautiful Joann!

Aliadelaide said...

What a brilliant idea!

Apostle to Suburbia said...

Very pretty! Thank you for sharing!
My daughter enjoyed "The Christmas Barn" too, which I see on your sidebar. :)

His Servant: Ann Kraeger said...

If you don't mind I think I would like to use these through out the year with my religion classes. It is a good way to teach them about the different feast days of the saints.

Anonymous said...

Great idea..! I will try it in my Christmas decorations.

Kristi said...

Joann,

You are full of great ideas. We might try this too.

Anonymous said...

I love this craft... simple and yet meaningful. I think I am going to be adding this to our Advent activities. Thanks for posting!